Wednesday, June 17, 2009

My milk machine!

So little (big really) Pumpkin weighed in at 8 lbs 8 oz at the hospital. He started out nursing like he'd been doing it forever, and has kept me awake every night so far! Of course, he was getting colostrum for the first couple of days until the milk came in full force, and like all babies he lost some weight. Well, the pediatrician was concerned because he had lost a little more than a pound by day three (he weighed in at 7 lbs. 6 oz), and he wanted me to supplement with formula. I was sure the milk was coming in soon, but agreed I'd try it. I figured there was a slim to none chance he's even take a bottle since Peanut didn't want any bottle or plastic nipple at all until she finally took a bottle at 4months. Even that was an emergency situation - we were caught in traffic on the way to NY and we couldn't stop, so I held the bottle back for her and she ate.

So anyway, we nursed as usual and tried the formula afterwards for two feedings that afternoon. He gave me a look like he thought I was crazy, and let the food flow and then made a face and pushed it back out. At about 3pm, I noticed that he had some milk running down his chin when he was nursing - woohoo! Milk is in! Happy day - all that nursing every hour for the past two days had kicked it into high gear.

That night was really tiring - he ate every hour or so, and had two stretches of eating nonstop for almost two hours at a time. When he did take a longer snooze in the wee hours of the morning, he woke to eat and got so frustrated because it was so hard to latch on since I was so engorged. He and I finally figured it out after trying a million different nursing holds and positions and extra pillows and whatnot. He continued on the feeding frenzy and I continued to lose sleep.

We have our weight check the next day at the pediatricians, and lo and behold - my man has gained 10 oz in less than a day! Go breast milk go!

No comments: