Sunday, June 21, 2009

Back to work

This week has gone by FAST! I can't believe that little Pumpkin is a week old, and that Honey has to go back to work tomorrow and that I am going to have to learn how to get everyone ready and dressed before 11 am at some point in the future. I know it can be done, but it really seems a little unreachable right now. He is starting to sleep for longer stretches so I know we will all be back to a good sleeping cycle soon. I have noticed myself a few times this week checking in on him when he is sleeping and even wishing he were awake to play!
Now that we are settling into a routine, and getting a little more sleep, I'm starting to look at the "to do" list again. I was able to get out into the garden today and set out the tomato cages - poor tomatoes were trailing all over the place. Got some of the garden weeded, and Honey got to vacuum the cat hair off the sofa. Grandma is coming this afternoon to stay for a week, and we still need to get some stuff out of her room... we've got a couple of hours - right?!

The most wonderful thing this week has been having my mom's group deliver meals every day. What an amazing group of women - having good, healthy, hot food has made it possible to give everyone the attention they need while we all make the transition to a bigger family. I can't thank them all enough.

The most difficult thing this week has been figuring out how to help Peanut feel secure and loved and attended to without completely breaking all of our routines and getting her into habits that will be tough to deal with later. She has been doing really well, but we have had a few troubles with bedtime and nap time and a day or two of really emotional, labile behavior. She is usually so sweet (although she IS two, so some of that is just there anyway) but she has been looking for some serious attention at times and is happy too take "bad" attention as well. Overall though, she loves her new brother and is really wonderful and gentle with him. I think we are going to enjoy this new chapter...

No comments: