Friday, May 27, 2011

Broccoli continued...

I have to follow up on the broccoli...
So we ate that wonderful broccoli for dinner on Wednesday - it was delish - and as we ate, we talked about how broccoli must be harvested before it blooms.  Peanut was curious about it so we continued the conversation about how we eat the buds before they become flowers.  Suddenly, she jumped up from the table and said she was tired and ran into her room.  Honey followed to help get her ready for bed, and I heard her crying and crying.  He came back and said she only wanted to talk to me, so I went into her room and sat with her.  I asked her why she was so sad all of a sudden, and she said "I don't want to eat that broccoli!" oh so tearfully.  So I said, that she didn't have to, but it looked like she had enjoyed it and I wondered aloud what happened to make her so sad and upset about eating the broccoli.  "I don't want flowers to bloom in my stomach and make holes!"  she wails.  Well.  It was all I could do to keep a straight, concerned face, as I comforted her.  Oh the terrors of being almost four!

We pulled out her "body book" (I got it at a yard sale for free!  It has layers of the different body systems and she loves it!) and looked at the digestive system.  I told her about how her stomach churns and squishes food to get the nutrients out and send them off to the other parts that need them.  I said that once food gets into your stomach, it stops growing and starts feeding you.  She began to giggle about plants growing in her belly and all was right with the world. 

No comments: