Thursday, June 2, 2011

testing, testing

It's nearly impossible to not think about why I would be asking each question, what I'd be thinking with each answer, and analyzing the reasoning for each method or tool they are using.  It's really tough to be sitting in another room while total strangers administer evaluations and tests, and not wonder how much she is or isn't doing, and whether they are making assumptions (of course they are) about her actual ability based on this one moment in time.  It's hard when you have to lay out your whole family history on the table and the evaluator says "wow".  As much as I know, about kids, about this process, about myself and my child, there is nothing I can do to make this easier.  This whole thing is making me analyze and over analyze everything, which of course is not at all helpful to anyone.  My child is my child, and remains the same child regardless of the words and numbers that are put on those pages.  I've been on the other side of that table and I know they have her best interests at heart, but boy does this put all the evaluations I have done with other families in perspective.  Humility.  The word of the day.

1 comment: