Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011

A New Year. Time to reflect and recenter. I've been thinking a lot over the past few weeks about the year and the things I've enjoyed and been proud of. I've thought about things I'd rather not remember, and things I hope I don't forget. It has been a year of ups and downs, and while I wouldn't change my life, I certainly have some moments I wish I could take back.

So it's resolution time, right? Not for me. Every year it seems I have a list of things I want to do, change, be, get, improve, focus on, and stop. A nice long list that always makes it impossible to reach any of the goals I set and therefore leaves me feeling like a failure in at least one part of my life. Not this year. I gave myself a gift this year so that I won't be making any resolutions.

I gave myself the gift of acceptance.

I'm accepting myself for who I am and all of the good and not so admirable qualities within me. I'm not trying to change anything or be someone I'm not. I'm just being comfortable being me.

I'm accepting others for who they are, and allowing them to show their true selves without my judgment or trying to change them.

I'm accepting life for what it is this moment. Good, bad, tiring, stressful, overwhelming, joyful, serene, energizing, loving, maddening. Allowing it all to be.

Happy New Year. I hope 2011 holds something wonderful for each of you.

1 comment:

Brann...it's good for you. said...

Well said, Laurie. Good lessons for us all, too.