Monday, November 10, 2008

Not so very green...

Without a real kitchen, cooking for our little family can be a tad difficult. We are healthy eaters, and I really do cook most meals at home almost every day in our real life. In this efficiency kitchen world, eating well has become really hard, and we have entered the world of processed and packaged food. I am astounded by the options in the grocery store - and I am talking Giant as my beloved Trader Joe's has little we can prepare easily right now. I am awed by aisles of boxes with "express" and "steam in the bag" and "no cook" written on them. It really took me about an hour to shop today because I am not used to the size of a Giant, nor am I versed in all of the types of microwavable and just add hot water meals, so I had to do a lot of label reading. The cost is astronomical as well. I am always amazed that I can get out of Trader Joe's with good fresh foods for the whole week for about $100. Now I am even more amazed as I spent well over that today and probably have enough for three or four days tops. Not to mention that little of it is fresh. Oh we have fruit and all, but storing salads in this mini fridge is hard, and trying to do real cooking in a toaster is tough too. We had microwave lasagna tonight - not horrid, but not fabulous either. I am a little concerned with the amount of sodium and MSG we are taking in with our Chinese and Thai microwave noodle meals, and little tubs of fruit or jello. I am also keenly aware of the amount of packaging we are tossing. I took for granted that most of our trash was compostable. We now fill up a kitchen bag every few days because of our high volume of boxes and tubs, and plastic wrappers. I am feeling not so green today and wishing for a real kitchen and real food.

1 comment:

A said...

Don't stress so much; It is only temporary. Just think...many people eat/cook/trash that way *all* the time. You are still super green! The house is looking beautiful. :)