Friday, April 30, 2010

Big fish

So I am doing a little experiment. I ordered groceries from Arganica, which has lots of local and organic foods - pretty much everything we eat. If this works out, I could be getting all of my food locally but no longer traipsing around town to make that happen. Pretty cool. I got the first order today, and while it was a pain (it was supposed to show up last night about 30 minutes away, but didn't arrive until after 10pm, which meant I couldn't get it until today) it was awesome! I opened the big wooden crate in the kitchen and the veggies and fruits were so enticing that the kids practically ate them as they helped me get everything in the fridge! Pumpkin had a bit of a cucumber, most of a pear, and tried to get into a lemon before I could stop him. Kale, spinach, eggplant, zucchini, broccoli, apples, blueberries, strawberries...oh so good!

I also got some sausage, and fish. That was the one thing I didn't bargain for. I got a whole flounder. It didn't even occur to me that the fish would be anything but frozen fillets, so when I pulled out a big old whole fish, I was a little taken aback. Peanut was a little weirded out at first, but then alternated between being curious and a little grossed out by the fish. We showed it to one of her friends too, who was intrigued.



So I called Honey at work thinking maybe he had gutted a fish before. Nope. OK, so on to the Internet.
I found a tutorial for cutting and filleting flounder and when Honey came home from work I just followed the directions.
I made an awful mess, and it took a long time, but I got four nice pieces of fish out of that flounder!




Then I got a little scientific and started to enjoy checking out the organs. I always like biology and dissection...








I cooked it up, added some steamed broccoli and a salad of radicchio, spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers and orange peppers, and everyone gobbled it up! Success!














No comments: