Saturday, November 13, 2010

Success With Knitting!

Many years ago, my grandmother tried to teach me to knit. It was quite unsuccessful, and I didn't really even consider picking up knitting needles for like 30 years or something. As many other crafty and artsy things that I'd just try with reckless abandon, I *knew* that I just couldn't knit.

Well, one of the mamas in our Holistic Moms Network chapter started a knitting group, and I dove in. With a little help from them and from some books one of the girls loaned me, I was able to cast on and knit! It was pretty easy really, and I made sure to knit a row or two every day until i could meet up with my girls again so I wouldn't forget how. I decided to teach myself how to purl and bind off, following the directions from a book (Stitch n' Bitch - my favorite so far), and finished my first knitting project! I had no inclination to actually make anything, I just bought some cheap yarn and needles to use for practice.

Turns out I made a sweet little blanket that is a perfect fit for Peanuts little doll named "Tiny". She and I are both really happy with how it turned out. I'm working on the matching pillow :) and have already been asked to make bigger blankets for the other "girls". Looks like I have a new hobby!

No comments: